Wednesday 10 May 2017

Day 4 - Percentiles and Indices

Students have learned a great deal about mean, median and mode. Today we expanded on their ability to analyze 1-Variable statistics by looking at percentiles, and quartiles (measures of spread) and also by looking at indices.


I started the class by spending time recalling what they already knew about mean, median and mode as well as when they might use these tools. Something I have learned over my years of teaching is that students can easily find the mean or the median or the mode, but have no idea when it might be useful to do so. I think that this is just as important, so we spent some time discussing that. I also spent time asking them to recall the difference between discrete and continuous data, as well as the kind of graphs that would be most appropriate for each. We then got into the above lesson and it went very smoothly. Students then had to complete the attached practice work.

No comments:

Post a Comment