Monday 1 May 2017

Day 15 - Exponent Laws

Back to paper and pencil math!

I need to get students solving exponential equations by the end of the cycle and so I started with reviewing exponent laws. I won't spend too long here this cycle, but I will come back to it.

I started with a true/false to see what students remembered:


Unsurprisingly, they did not remember all that much! Some were able to work their way through a couple but it was definitely an area of weakness for them.

I gave them about 15 mins to fight with the true/false on their own and then took it up as a class. I have popsicle sticks, each with a student's name on it and was able to randomly select students to answer questions. This went very well. Once they had a chance to fight on their own and realize they didn't know it, and once they understood that their name could be the next one called on, they paid attention and did their best to understand. I did about half the questions with the class and the other half was left for them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment