Tuesday 7 February 2017

Introduction

Hello and Welcome! My name is Pamela Chun and I have been a teacher of Mathematics for 12 years now. This year I am trying something new, with a colleague (Shout out to Deanna Ward!) with Grade 12 College Mathematics (MAP4C).

Do you find that students in this course lack motivation? Have you thought about spiralling but don't know how to get started? Do you want to add more activities more than traditional lessons? These are the questions we tackled in the summer. We designed the course around 4 or 5 projects (instead of units and tests). We tried to add a relevant purpose to each one so that students could see where they might use each concept learned. We know that this won't work for all expectations, but the projects do cover most of them and we can throw in a couple expectations at the end with a more traditional test. Deanna did this last semester and I am trying it this semester. I have a keen group but I do have a disclaimer - I have 13 students, all boys and all interested in a tech program when they finish high school.


In addition to working with Deanna (and therefore getting a lot of materials from her), I would also like to acknowledge Ms. McClennon-Sowchuk. We shamelessly used her materials that we found online for this course. Some were modified and others were not. I don't want anyone to think that all of these were made by me! However, I hope that by reading this, you get some of your own ideas or it helps you in some way.

All the best and good luck in all your teaching adventures and experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment