Saturday 11 February 2017

Day 5 - Optimizing Triangles and other Shapes

Today we looked at optimizing shapes other than four-sided rectangles:


I did change a few things: Under "Practice", 1c asks for a right-angled triangle, but I took out the right-angled. Since we discovered that an equilateral triangle is the "best" shape, I felt it best they get a chance to practice this.

I would change this lesson next time to be honest. I think I would take out the questions about circles and add more practice questions that they could do on their own. I felt that I had to get them started. It had been too long since they had done any optimization and so it would be hard for them to recall it. Students were not nearly as engaged in this as they had been previous days and I think it was because they did not feel as confident. I don't mind stretching their minds but this was asking them to remember concepts from grade 9 without reminders. Perhaps if this activity had been in a different place in the course?

Overall, week 1 was still a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment